No.61 8Fs – Heavy goods engines starting with the Bachmann WD 2-8-0

One of the first engines that I purchased on returning to the hobby was a Bachman Austerity 2-8-0.


I remember seeing a number of these engines on Teesside in the early 1960s and I was keen to have a model of one on the layout.  From memory the Q6s, J26s and J27s handled the local traffic bringing coal and coke from County Durham whilst the WD 2-8-0s handled more long distance freight south to York and beyond.


Whilst the detail on my Bachmann WD was superb, its performance I thought was lacking.  

Out of the box the engine could barely manage a dozen wagons up and round the layout and was accompanied by what could only be described as a monotonous grinding noise.  It was soon banished to the sheds.  For the record my Austerity is model number 32-256 (running number 90556), I mention this because I have seen similar models advertised also as being noisy runners. 



The solution

First a picture showing which screws hold the body on the chassis.


Second a reminder that the cab handrails need to be released prior to lifting the body off the chassis.
How does the chassis run without the body? - In my case very smoothly and relatively quietly.  There’s the answer!  On my model the soldered connections to the brush holders were pressing against the inside of the firebox causing the noise of the motor to be transmitted to and amplified by the whole body shell.  The solution is straight forward, remake the connections using less solder whilst at the same time bending the terminals such that they no longer contact the body.  If still in doubt carefully file away a little of the plastic inside the firebox.

Performance
I have recently had the chance to observe first hand some of the new Hornby 2-8-0 freight engines.  I am impressed by their smooth and powerful performance.   

So, how to improve the performance of the Bachman WD 2-8-0?  

Pony Truck





A major cause of poor haulage capacity affecting a range of Bachmann models is too much stiffness in the pony truck springing.  Sometimes I have completely removed the springing.  In this instance I decided to retain the spring but to gently massage it so that the spring effect was reduced.
Then I added some lead shot!

Somewhere on RMweb I remember reading a thread, and I must apologise because I did not keep a note of the contributor’s details, but he had taken the WD boiler barrel apart to install a smoke unit.  He confirmed that the Bachmann ballast weight only occupies the first part of the boiler and beyond and into the smoke box is a void.  Lead shot can be introduced into this void using the slot visible in the picture above.  The chimney on the Bachmann model is blanked off and by turning the body shell upside down and by tipping backwards or forwards the lead shot can be added or removed as required.  For security the gap at the top of the boiler should be taped over, I used a tiny piece of masking tape, just in case the engine is upended and to prevent any lead shot inadvertently falling back out.
 
I am aware that some modellers are very keen not to upset the ‘balance’ of their models.  As bought my WD weighed 290gm.  This value is already quite respectable when compared to say the Bachmann O4 at 250gm or the Hornby 28xx at 275gm.  In the event I added sufficient lead shot to bring the total weight up to 305gm.

The model stills sits nice and firmly with all driving wheels in solid contact with the track.  More importantly the engine will now crawl up and round my layout with a representative number of trucks in tow.   

Some of you might wish to be more adventurous and add more weight.  I would say that there is every chance that you could trickle more lead shot into the smoke box space.  However too much and you will lose traction on the rear driving wheels.  At least with this solution it should be easy enough to remove the lead if you have added too much.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

No.123 Chocolate and Cream and BR1s – the Replica Railways Restaurant Buffet

No. 163 Hornby’s new A2/2 and A2/3

No. 166 A tale of two Hornby Super Detail ‘Britannias’, plus a Clan (Postscript)