No.72 All Change – some observations on the new Bachman Sleeping Cars


Back in the early 1970s I was a not infrequent user of the overnight sleeper service from Edinburgh to Kings Cross. I would say not my favourite mode of transport. However I would also say that no 1960s model railway can be complete without some sleeping cars.


Bachmann Mk1 Sleeping Cars


The date on the solebar shows 1960, which should be ideal for my sixties layout.
Hornby Mk1 Sleeping Cars with detailed underframes and fitted with Bachmann bogies.


Up until very recently the choice of ready to run model seemed to be limited to the Hornby version. My Hornby sleeping cars dated from the ‘Topshed’ era’ and appeared to be based on the original CKD (Completely Knocked Down) Mk 1 models first made by Triang in the 1960s. The corridor ends and underframes are formed from a single moulding which appears to have been used unaltered for the complete range of Hornby Mk1 coaches. Different coach types having individual side pieces slotted into the solebar and clamped in place by two brass bolts through the solebar and fastening into the roof moulding.

Hornby solebar with added lettering


Whilst I thought that the Hornby models captured the image I did make a few modifications. I added some footboards and some lettering to the solebars. To match with my existing Bachmann Mk1 coaches I also needed to lower the underframes on to the bogies – something that I achieved by swapping the Hornby bogies for the Bachmann type complete with metal wheels.




Roof Detail

There is a lot of nice detail on the new Bachmann models. I particularly like the roofs, with lifting eyes for the water tanks and the trunking for the ventilation. I was never very sure what the Hornby roof was supposed to represent.

Bachmann windows and solebar detail


The Bachmann lining is not as heavy as the Hornby model. Also the Bachmann windows look neater. Were the Hornby windows supposed to represent double glazed units and if so was that correct for the 1960s?

Bachmann end step
 
Bachmann have also added a step to the coach end and the rigid corridor connector moulding now carries a lamp bracket.

Bachmann left and Hornby right (with painted door)
 
How much of the Hornby end detail is correct and how much is simply due to using a common moulding for all Mk1 stock? I am intrigued that Bachmann model does not have steps all the way up to roof level. This would be to reduce the chances of electrocution when used on the West Coast mainline – but were the coaches assembled like this when first introduced in 1960?


To close couple Bachmann Mk1 coaches I swap the couplings for Hornby R8220 Roco type coupling. I don’t keep up with press releases so I was surprised to find that then new Bachmann Sleeping Cars are supplied with straight type couplings, as opposed to the type with a dropped shank.


Old bottom and new top coupling compensators


Removing the bogies from the sleeping cars shows that Bachmann have re-engineered the arrangements for providing coupling compensation whilst negotiating curved track. The mechanism is now contained within the coach body and more significantly – the position of the coupling pocket has been lowered to enable the use of standard straight couplings.



Old left and new right Bachmann coupling pockets


I have fitted Hornby R8220 couplings in the new lowered pockets and coupled the coaches up with older rolling stock. My first impressions are that there is so much flexibility in both the old and new compensating units that the slight change in height between the old and new design is not going to be a problem. Time will tell.


Well must go and find the boxes for the old Hornby coaches and get them ready for the Christmas sales.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

No.123 Chocolate and Cream and BR1s – the Replica Railways Restaurant Buffet

No. 163 Hornby’s new A2/2 and A2/3

No.98 The Peco Streamline 3 Way Point.