No.110 Six up – Bachmann Baby Scot with BR Mk1s

My last session featured some of my older models of BR (LMR) steam 4-6-0s. On that occasion I had started to strengthen some of my rakes of coaches and had added additional second class BR Mk1s.

Six Up


The Hornby ‘Staniers’ are relatively light weight. The Bachmann ‘Portholes’, despite some criticism of the bogie design, I think are free running. Adding an extra Bachmann Mk1 to the ‘Staniers’ and the ‘Portholes’ did not cause any haulage problems on my gradients.




My Bachmann Mk1s appear to be heavy and rather sluggish coaches. A rake of six Mk1s was maybe a ‘coach too far’ for some of my 4-6-0s. With a good run the train would manage the gradient but the performance was rather frantic. I would clean the coach wheels and check the bearing cups with my reaming tool.



The old split chassis type Bachmann Jubilees weigh in around 308 gm. Mine have quite a good haulage capacity. The new Bachmann Jubilees have a space inside the boiler for the DC chip and their weight reduces to around 280gm. If you are like me and are not fitting a DC chip then it is relatively straightforward to add some lead and bring the weight up to a little over 310 gm.



This weekend I have been playing with a Bachmann Baby Scot or as otherwise known, an unrebuilt Patriot. From my old train spotting books the unrebuilt engines were disappearing fast in 1961. Looking at the numbers I must have seen Upperby based engines during visits to Carlisle. Visits to Warrington and Chester must have provided opportunities to see Edgehill (Liverpool) and Longsight (Manchester) shedded engines. The unrebuilt engines were classified ‘6P5F’, the same as the majority of the Jubilees. I am guessing that they would have been used on semi-fast passenger turns and fitted freights.

Bachmann Baby Scot


The prototype engine has a huge firebox. Some time ago I took a look inside the model and yes there appears to be plenty of space around the motor for extra ballast.

Filling the fire box


I made a paper pattern and used this to shape some pieces of lead for the firebox sides (nominally 21 x 44 mm).

Reverse (top) showing indents for handrail fixings and channel to accommodate seam in plastic moulding


The fixings for the handrail knobs protruded inside the firebox on my model. I carved a couple of indents in the lead to clear the handrail fixings and also the join in the plastic boiler moulding.

Lead sides to firebox


Adding lead to the firebox sides increased the weight of the Bachmann Patriot to around 315 gm. Sadly my model was still struggling with six Bachmann Mk1s. I would need to add some more lead.

Kit of parts – mark II


This time I added a piece of lead to the front of the firebox (nominally 15 x 25 mm) and another piece to the top (nominally 20 x 25 mm).

The works


Despite the cavernous size of the old ‘Fowler’ fire box it would appear that a lot of the height is utilised by the Bachmann motor so the top piece of lead needed some shaping with a file to keep it clear of the motor and wiring.


Lead lined fire box


My model now turned the scales at 330 gm. Performance was enhanced – perhaps only modestly – but sufficient for my needs. I have posted a Youtube video, part of which shows the train climbing my 36 inch radius, 1 in 56 curved reversing loop.

 

I have not touched the space in the smoke box reserved for the DC chip. Neither have I tampered with the front bogie spring which from experience with other Bachmann models could well be lifting the front pair of driving wheels. For the moment it works for me.



Some more pictures of Bachmann coaches:


Bachmann Mk1s and Portholes


Finally an attempt at a panoramic shot showing two six coach semi fast trains.

Panarama?

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

No.123 Chocolate and Cream and BR1s – the Replica Railways Restaurant Buffet

No. 163 Hornby’s new A2/2 and A2/3

No. 166 A tale of two Hornby Super Detail ‘Britannias’, plus a Clan (Postscript)