No.58 A Western Celebration

This last week saw the arrival of Western King – with no yellow panels. Heljan had already introduced their Western Class models prior to my return to the hobby and I have been on the lookout for some time for a Maroon model with no yellow panels – now I have found one!

Heljan D1039 Western King

I have fond memories of the introduction of the Western Class diesel hydraulics. As a school boy I used to be taken once or twice per year to visit 'family' on the Wirral. My parents would take the opportunity to spend a day shopping in Chester and I would get to spend time train spotting at Chester General.

D1007 Western Talisman

In those days office workers did not have as many days holiday as now and Father used to arrange our visits to include a Bank Holiday. Hence I know that the above picture was taken during August Bank Holiday 1962. In the summer of 1962 Chester General was a shadow of its former self. No Castles only a rundown Hall. The Beeching cuts had started to take effect and I think this was probably the last occasion that I spent time collecting engine numbers.

5985 Mostyn Hall

In 1962 August Bank Holiday Monday was the 6th, records for the Westerns state that D1007 was completed on 01/08/62 - ties in quite nicely with the picture which shows an obviously recently ex works locomotive with yellow painted buffer beam and no yellow warning panels.

I also spotted a green Western on the same day. However I am confused as I appear to have written down D1001 but have also written Western Explorer (D1002). I never was any good at mathematics (but I wasn’t colour blind - D1001 was painted maroon).

Lima Golden Series – D1016 Western Gladiator

Prior to the Heljan models I owned a couple of Lima models. Western Gladiator bought in 1981, came as part of one the Lima Golden Series train sets.

I bought a Craftsman detail kit for the engine, fitting the nickel silver handrail and white metal buffers. I also cut off the Lima coupling and screwed in place a Mainline type coupling.


The picture above shows the three coaches that came with the set, all fitted with white metal buffers. For the Restaurant Car I rearranged the ventilators on the roof and added some extra pancake types above the kitchen . I also added to and rearranged the battery boxes on the underframe, but that is not visible in this view.
Lima D1002 Western Pioneer compared to Heljan D1037 Western Empress

My second Lima model was Western Pioneer. This was bought new for the princely sum of £6.75 in 1984 from the Bradford Model Centre (in Manchester?). The picture above shows Western Pioneer repainted, and fitted with etched plates and nickel silver handrails alongside Heljan Western Empress, just prior to the sale of the Lima model.
Heljan Western King with HeljanLion

I think the original Heljan Western models are some of the smoothest running and most powerful railway models produced. Western King seems to have settled in nicely and I have posted a video of it together with Western Talisman.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

No.123 Chocolate and Cream and BR1s – the Replica Railways Restaurant Buffet

No. 163 Hornby’s new A2/2 and A2/3

No. 166 A tale of two Hornby Super Detail ‘Britannias’, plus a Clan (Postscript)