No.42 After the poppy seeds

I feel this entry might be slightly disjointed.  It is potentially a huge subject and it is a case of not knowing where best to start.  I did think of using the title “What’s black and white and read all over?”




Hornby Scenics Medium Black and Medium Light Grey gravels mixed + Maroon (not Red) Morris Minor Traveller



Ballasting all the visible trackwork with Blue Poppy Seeds is becoming just a distant memory and it is time to stop making excuses and get on with some more scenery.


Hornby Scenics Fine Grey gravel with a sprinkling of Gaugemaster Coal


I did make a start with the coal yard and found that I could make an acceptable surfacing by mixing Scenics fine gravel with wall paper paste spread using a stainless steel spatula.




I used the same technique for the road over bridge

The hardboard lift out section of road was surfaced with mix of Scenics fine grey gravel mixed into a paste with wall paper adhesive and trowelled into place with a spatula.

Good – wall paper paste plus fine gravel was the way forward.  However what gravel to use?  The Blue Poppy Seeds used for ballast have a natural variability and I wanted to use a scatter material at the sides of the track with a similar variability.  I also wanted a material that could be easily replicated.  The layout is quite sizable.  Whilst I would expect differences in perhaps colour along the way I wanted the overall appearance to be generally similar.  Hornby Scenics seemed to offer a solution –  they are readily available (at a price) and appear relatively consistent in size and colour.


What if I tried some of the medium gravels and say mixed the colours?  Well I think we have seen the answer at the top of this Blog – far too coarse and loud.  Another approach was needed.



I remember reading somewhere – probably  on a site such as RMweb that all the materials that you need are in and around the house.





So a solution – almost unlimited quantities for free!  More details next time then

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

No.123 Chocolate and Cream and BR1s – the Replica Railways Restaurant Buffet

No. 163 Hornby’s new A2/2 and A2/3

No. 166 A tale of two Hornby Super Detail ‘Britannias’, plus a Clan (Postscript)